Grind size is very consistent, machine is easy to operate.
My thoughts after using it for a couple of weeks.
The grinder mechanism itself is great. The interface leaves a lot to be desired. I'll start with the negatives, because I have to start somewhere.
1. The hopper has to secured with a screw that needs a tool (philips screw driver). Given the fact that you probably remove it regularly (I do), It should be a screw or some other fastener that can be used without a tool. Solution is to leave the screw loose, which doesn't cause a problem
2. The hopper has a stopper, good idea, but it is very hard to get in all the way and feels flimsy.
3. I know I didn't purchase a single dose grinder, but... retention. lots of it and inconsistent. Sometimes (after rocking the grinder) 1 gram, sometimes as much as 3 grams. You need to purge some in the morning to get the previous day's stale grinds out. And I am not sure you succeed to get all of them out.
4. Dosing by adjusting the timer. Why did they have to use such a tiny knob on that adjustment? It's really hard to move it precisely. And why not make the adjustment finer where you have to turn more to have less effect and thus can be more precise.
5. When using the timed mode. Why not give the opportunity to interrupt the grind so you can settle the grinds in the basket and then continue. Or just stop the grind when you think it's enough. To stop the grind you use the power switch (seriously?)
6. Could you give us a more clumsy portafilter holder. It doesn't go in the hole very securely, you can move it around very easily.
On the plus side:
1. The grind seems very consistent.
2. The grinds flow nicely into the portafilter with little spilling (especially when using a funnel which is what I do). Very fluffy.
3. No or little clumping.
4. The grind adjustment is very good.
I am going to change the grinder to a single use with little to no retention with a small hopper replacement and a below to blow out most of the grinds that get stuck.
As you can probably tell from my review so far. I am a little disappointed with this grinder considering the price. I am glad I got the entry level machine, because the next few model numbers up would still have the flaws that I pointed out would still be there.
In conclusion, I think it's still a great grinder. As the name Silenzio suggests, it is indeed very quiet. The quality of the motor and the burrs seems excellent and should last many years. I think I'll keep this grinder as I don't see much else in this price range. I am going to replace the hopper with a single use hopper and add a below to get most of the grinds out.
Hopper seems cheap and flimsy.
This grinder is great. It’s easy to set up and make fine adjustments as required. The white and chrome option looks great as well.
|Burr Size||55 mm|
Lelit Coffee Slide Spout Portafilter
I bought this machine from Cosimo, and it's been a nice upgrade from my previous Breville DuoTemp. The group heats up nicely and quick enough, steam and water are strong, and the PID temp control makes it a little more tuneable for extraction. This is my first 58mm machine as well. I'm very happy with this machine and the espresso it produces at its price point in the current US espresso machine market. The finish is also quite nice.
The reservoir could have been better engineered for making it easier to see the water level and to fill the tank, and they should have included a blind portafilter basket for backflushing. Note that water softeners are recommended in the manual but not included. It would be nice if the group were higher from the drip tray, but I can get a scale and cup under it if I use a bottomless portafilter (not included).
Awesome and well built machine. Use it to pull 2-5 shots a day. Makes for a beautiful counter piece. Excellent delivery.
good machine decently sturdy,would like it to have a little more weight to it but is very good all round
Did quite a bit of research after my old Krups lost its boiler seal. After quite a bit of comparing, I found this one to be what I would purchase. Industry standard 58mm portafilter, good steam control and an excellent finish. Took me three pulls with adjustments to my grinder to get a great cup! Bought a bottomless portafilter in order to assist in getting it right. Bottomless has a great capacity. I have absolutely no regrets about with my purchase. It was a couple of more bucks than I initially planned on spending, but the features fully justified the extra expenditure.
Quick Mill Silvano Evo Espresso Machine
Coffee Knock Box
Lelit Bianca Espresso Machine
Easy to clean triple basket fits with Ascaso steel duo PID
Rancilio Silvia Espresso Machine
This is a solid HX machine at a very competitive price point.
Lots of power-- back-to-back lattes are no problem with the MaraX.
Great features-- temperature and brew priorities you don't see in other machines at this range.
Truly fresh and tastes remarkable. Wakes me up really well in the morning!!
Great Customer Service and after sale help. Both the new Rancilio Silva and Eureka Mignon XL are performing as expected1. Fab!!
Makes the best espressos to date in my Microcasa Semiautomatica!